It was Wednesday, September 21, 2005. I was doing a typical chore in the kitchen, perhaps wiping down the counter tops when the phone rings. I answer the phone, "Hello, this is Carolyn." and the man on the phone was Richard L. He and his fiancé', Melinda B. just got back from the courthouse where they were HOPING to have a civil ceremony with a judge that was available between 1:00 and 2:00 pm as they always are each week for couples seeking this type of ceremony.
They both took off work, and Melinda even got a babysitter for her daughter to cover while they get married and go out for a romantic meal together. When they arrived at the courthouse to pick up their license and wait, with other couples, to get married in the courtroom, they were told that ALL of the judges were not available due to a conference they were attending.
You can imagine the thoughts that are running through their minds. For weeks, they have been saving this moment to have it taken away in a moment. Frantic, they drive back home and start searching on the internet for an officiant who can marry them NOW.
At the time, my website advertised that I refer OTHER officiants for free. Richard must have called others first, only to get voice mails or high fees for something so simple. He sees my website and asks if I know of someone who can marry them NOW.
"Wow, that's a tough one.", I said. Who did I know that would be available at 3pm on a Wednesday afternoon? Many thoughts went through my head in that moment. I have been making plans to start officiating in the new year (2006). I became ordained on-line through the infamous website for wedding officiants ulc.org (Universal Life Church) back in January 2004. At the time, it was a JOKE. This website ordains your instantly.
I need to help this couple, but have no ideas of who. Then I thought, I can do this. I had some words for ceremonies I have been collecting. I thought, why not? I told Richard and Melinda that I could be there in 30 minutes.
I show up at their house, a small quaint home that had been nicely decorated. They had asked the neighbors across the street if they would be the two witnesses. The first idea was to have the ceremony in the backyard in front of a garden arbor they had in place. St. Louis is known for high humidity and Richard's silk shirt was showing some sweat, even in a cool house. It was decided to have the ceremony in the dining room in front of the rich blue velvet curtains.
I've seen countless weddings as a Wedding Liaison since 1999. I know the secrets needed to perform a meaningful ceremony. The ceremony begins and five minutes later I am telling Richard, "You may kiss the bride."
The neighbors took many photographs, I carefully went over the Marriage License and Certificate of Marriage - something I did not pay much attention to until now. I went straight to the County Courthouse to hand deliver the paperwork. I told the clerk that this was my first marriage ceremony. I asked if she wanted to see my ordination certificate. She took the papers and with no pomp and circumstance said, "No, that won't be necessary." and that was it !!
I've been performing ceremonies joyfully ever since.....
They both took off work, and Melinda even got a babysitter for her daughter to cover while they get married and go out for a romantic meal together. When they arrived at the courthouse to pick up their license and wait, with other couples, to get married in the courtroom, they were told that ALL of the judges were not available due to a conference they were attending.
You can imagine the thoughts that are running through their minds. For weeks, they have been saving this moment to have it taken away in a moment. Frantic, they drive back home and start searching on the internet for an officiant who can marry them NOW.
At the time, my website advertised that I refer OTHER officiants for free. Richard must have called others first, only to get voice mails or high fees for something so simple. He sees my website and asks if I know of someone who can marry them NOW.
"Wow, that's a tough one.", I said. Who did I know that would be available at 3pm on a Wednesday afternoon? Many thoughts went through my head in that moment. I have been making plans to start officiating in the new year (2006). I became ordained on-line through the infamous website for wedding officiants ulc.org (Universal Life Church) back in January 2004. At the time, it was a JOKE. This website ordains your instantly.
I need to help this couple, but have no ideas of who. Then I thought, I can do this. I had some words for ceremonies I have been collecting. I thought, why not? I told Richard and Melinda that I could be there in 30 minutes.
I show up at their house, a small quaint home that had been nicely decorated. They had asked the neighbors across the street if they would be the two witnesses. The first idea was to have the ceremony in the backyard in front of a garden arbor they had in place. St. Louis is known for high humidity and Richard's silk shirt was showing some sweat, even in a cool house. It was decided to have the ceremony in the dining room in front of the rich blue velvet curtains.
I've seen countless weddings as a Wedding Liaison since 1999. I know the secrets needed to perform a meaningful ceremony. The ceremony begins and five minutes later I am telling Richard, "You may kiss the bride."
The neighbors took many photographs, I carefully went over the Marriage License and Certificate of Marriage - something I did not pay much attention to until now. I went straight to the County Courthouse to hand deliver the paperwork. I told the clerk that this was my first marriage ceremony. I asked if she wanted to see my ordination certificate. She took the papers and with no pomp and circumstance said, "No, that won't be necessary." and that was it !!
I've been performing ceremonies joyfully ever since.....
