I performed two weddings on the same day where the groom started to cry when he started his vows to his new wife. The guests at both weddings reacted in a similar way - between taking your own breath away and a giggle.
The first wedding was booked less than seven days, and I do not let the couples know how the ceremony will be written. It works well for elopements and they usually don't care or it doesn't matter. They trust me. Barb and Jim had their ceremony in their home with just close friends and family. They were having cake and punch afterwards.
The second wedding was able to customize most of the ceremony as long as I still get to keep the Opening Words and Closing with Announcement the same. Marianne and Brian picked their own Question of Intent, the part where I asked if they take each other as husband and wife. You know, the "I Do" part. They found something from another officiant's website. This is fine with me.
The vows can also be written by them and can either be 'repeat after me' or 'recite' or ad lib from your heart. They chose the following.....
"With this ring, I give you my promise that from this day forward, you shall not walk alone. May my heart be your shelter and my arms be your home. May God bless you always. May we talk together through all things. May you feel deeply loved, for indeed you are. May you always see your innocence in my eyes. I give you my heart. I have no greater gift to give. I promise I shall always do my best. I feel so honored to call you my wife I feel so pleased to call you mine. May we feel this joy forever. I thank God. I thank you and I love you."
During our rehearsal on the phone, we talked about whether these vows should be 'repeat after me' or 'recite'. Because of it's length, repeating loses its attention, especially when the groom AND bride has to say them to each other. In my ceremonies, the groom always goes first.
Brian read his vows with so much conviction and grace. It really was something to witness. And this wedding occured in a downtown hotel in St. Louis - The Omni Majestic Hotel. They have a great small place with beautiful works of art and murals and wood!
The bride was in a similar emotion, but got through her vows with one or two slips - hardly noticable. Right before I left, I said my last goodbyes and the bride gave me another hug with that same tear of happiness. She lightly said, "It was exactly the way we wanted it."
Need I say more.....
The first wedding was booked less than seven days, and I do not let the couples know how the ceremony will be written. It works well for elopements and they usually don't care or it doesn't matter. They trust me. Barb and Jim had their ceremony in their home with just close friends and family. They were having cake and punch afterwards.
The second wedding was able to customize most of the ceremony as long as I still get to keep the Opening Words and Closing with Announcement the same. Marianne and Brian picked their own Question of Intent, the part where I asked if they take each other as husband and wife. You know, the "I Do" part. They found something from another officiant's website. This is fine with me.
The vows can also be written by them and can either be 'repeat after me' or 'recite' or ad lib from your heart. They chose the following.....
"With this ring, I give you my promise that from this day forward, you shall not walk alone. May my heart be your shelter and my arms be your home. May God bless you always. May we talk together through all things. May you feel deeply loved, for indeed you are. May you always see your innocence in my eyes. I give you my heart. I have no greater gift to give. I promise I shall always do my best. I feel so honored to call you my wife I feel so pleased to call you mine. May we feel this joy forever. I thank God. I thank you and I love you."
During our rehearsal on the phone, we talked about whether these vows should be 'repeat after me' or 'recite'. Because of it's length, repeating loses its attention, especially when the groom AND bride has to say them to each other. In my ceremonies, the groom always goes first.
Brian read his vows with so much conviction and grace. It really was something to witness. And this wedding occured in a downtown hotel in St. Louis - The Omni Majestic Hotel. They have a great small place with beautiful works of art and murals and wood!
The bride was in a similar emotion, but got through her vows with one or two slips - hardly noticable. Right before I left, I said my last goodbyes and the bride gave me another hug with that same tear of happiness. She lightly said, "It was exactly the way we wanted it."
Need I say more.....

