As an officiant, I am required by law to ask couples if they agree to be bonded as husband and wife, partners or spouses for life. Each person individually affirms their commitment to one another, in response to a question; the response usually takes the form of the infamous "I DO".
I have five weddings to perform this weekend (May 6 and 7). Most are choosing the following question of intent. "Do you (name), take (name) to be no other than (herself/himself). Loving what you know of (her/him), and trusting what you don't yet know? Do you take (her/him) in laughter and in tears, in health and in illness, In conflict and in tranquility, in doubt and in trust, As your (wife/husband), your friend, and your equal?"
This is the most popular choice by far. I think the part that says, "trusting what you don't yet know" is what appeals to most couples. The way I phrase it makes the guests in attendance giggle sometimes.
Looking forward to visiting Mount Pleasant Winery, Civic Park in O'Fallon MO, Missouri Botanical Garden, the Gateway Arch, and a private home in Valley Park very soon.
![]() |
| Carolyn Burke - Wedding Officiant |
This is the most popular choice by far. I think the part that says, "trusting what you don't yet know" is what appeals to most couples. The way I phrase it makes the guests in attendance giggle sometimes.
Looking forward to visiting Mount Pleasant Winery, Civic Park in O'Fallon MO, Missouri Botanical Garden, the Gateway Arch, and a private home in Valley Park very soon.
